Skip Navigation • Access Keys • Frequently Asked Questions •

Durham County Record Office: the official archive service for County Durham and Darlington

  • Home > 
  • Shop > 
  • Apply for Research Service

Apply for Research Service

This page describes how to apply to use the professional Research Service at Durham County Record Office.

Before you apply

See our Research service page to find out who does the research, what the different options are, and what they cost.

If you are not sure that we hold the records you want us to search, please check first, as the minimum search fee is not refundable:

  • Check church registers for a summary of the parish and nonconformist church registers we keep
  • Check our online catalogue for details of the archive collections we keep
  • Contact us for advice before you apply. 

Please contact us to check whether you can use this service to search records where access is restricted under Data Protection legislation.

You can also use this service if you need help with searching online sources such as Ancestry, or if you want to book some time to discuss your research with a professional in our search room.

Apply online

Apply by email and pay by phone

Quick Search 

  • Email
  • Give clear details of what you want us to search for
  • Tell us if you will need a certified copy or digital copy (additional charge). Find more about this service on our apply for Quick Search page.
  • Phone 03000 267 628 to pay by credit/debit card (more information on our Shop page.)

  • Pay £5.00 per search when you order
  • We will ask for any additional payment after we have found the correct information.

Research Service 

  • Email
  • Attach completed application form and any supporting documents
  • Phone 03000 267 628 to pay by credit/debit card (more information on our Shop page.)
  • Pay £35.00 for one hour's research when you order.

We will respond to your enquiry by email whenever possible, and provide a copy of any information we find as an email attachment.

Apply by post

  • Send your enquiry/application form and payment to the address included in contact us
  • Cheques should be made payable to Durham County Council
  • Please do not send cash through the post. 

Application forms

Research Service application form

Research Service information leaflet