Durham County Record Office: the official archive service for County Durham and Darlington
- Contact us
- About Us
- Coal Mining and Durham Collieries
- Durham Light Infantry Archives
- Information Leaflets
- Picture Gallery
- Visit Us
- Birth, marriage and death records
- Census records
- Parish registers
- Place names index
- Nonconformist Church Registers
More Family History Sources
- Army Records
- Bishops' Transcripts
- Cemeteries and crematoria
- Coal Mining
- Durham Obituaries
- Electoral Registers
- Family History Organisations
- Guild Records
- Hearth Tax Returns
- Jewish Community
- Land Tax Assessments
- Law and Order
- Marriage Licences, Bonds and Allegations
- Medical Records
- Military Records
- Missing Persons
- Photograph collections
- Poor Law
- Salvation Army Church
- War Memorials
- Gypsy Roma Travellers
- The Story of Jimmy Durham
- Surviving Belsen
- World War One
- Durham Market Place
- Children of the British Empire
- Tudor Durham
- School workshops
- Resources for schools
- First World War workshops
- Supporting Arts Award
- Collections Search
- Website Help
- Legal Information
Transcript of Recruitment Leaflet
Please remember that all transcripts show what is written on the page; spelling and grammatical mistakes are not corrected.
YOUR KING WANTS YOU !
YOUR COUNTRY WANTS YOU !
YOUR CHUMS WANT YOU !
GILBERT O. SPENCE, Colonel
Commanding the 5th Durham Light Infantry
I Want You to Reinforce The First Line ! !
Extract from Lord Kitchener's speech at the Guildhall, London, July 9th, 1915 -
"Men, materials and money are the immediate necessities....Does the call of duty
find no response in you until reinforced, let us rather say superseded, by the call
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ?
WHAT ARE YOU DOING ?
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ?
WILL YOU HELP ?
WHAT YOU can do !
1. If a Man of Fighting Age, and Fit - JOIN TO-DAY.
2. If too Old, or Working on Munitions, or if a Woman,
get at least ONE RECRUIT TO-DAY
3. If in business, display Flags or Bunting during the Week.
4. If a Householder, d[itt]o. d[itt]o.
5. If the owner of a Motor Car, have a notice pasted on
Motor Screen, "JOIN THE 5th DURHAM TO-DAY",
and lend your car for the purpose of bringing in Recruits.
6. If the owner of any kind of Vehicle or Lorry, or Cart,
have a Placard pasted on it.
All these several notices will be supplied, free of cost,
on application to the Hon[orary]. Secretaries:
R.B. FRANKLIN, 25 High Street
HAROLD WALLER, 11 Dovecot Street
For list of Recruiting Meetings next week, see Posters and Advertisements
GOD SAVE THE KING.
JOHN HARRISON, PRINTER, STOCKTON