Skip Navigation • Access Keys • Frequently Asked Questions •

Durham County Record Office: the official archive service for County Durham and Darlington

Do you keep birth, marriage and death certificates?

No. Birth, marriage and death records are kept by local authority registration services, and the General Register Office (GRO). The GRO, part of the Identity and Passport Service, administers the civil registration process in England and Wales. See our birth, marriage and death records information for links to all registration services covering the historic county of Durham back to 1837.

Back to Family History FAQs