Durham County Record Office: the official archive service for County Durham and Darlington
- Accessibility statement
- Contact us
- About Us
- Coal Mining and Durham Collieries
- Durham Light Infantry Archives
- Information Leaflets
- Picture Gallery
- Visit Us
- Birth, marriage and death records
- Census records
- Parish registers
- Place names index
- Nonconformist Church Registers
More Family History Sources
- Army Records
- Bishops' Transcripts
- Cemeteries and crematoria
- Coal Mining
- Durham Obituaries
- Electoral Registers for County Durham
- Family History Organisations
- Guild Records
- Hearth Tax Returns
- Jewish Community
- Land Tax Assessments
- Law and Order
- Marriage Licences, Bonds and Allegations
- Medical Records
- Military Records
- Missing Persons
- Photograph collections
- Poor Law
- Salvation Army Church
- War Memorials
- Gypsy Roma Travellers
- The Story of Jimmy Durham
- Surviving Belsen
- World War One
- Durham Market Place
- Children of the British Empire
- Tudor Durham
- Home learning
- Supporting Arts Award
- Arts Award Discover at Home
- School workshops
- First World War workshops
- Resources for schools
- Collections Search
- Website Help
- Legal Information
- 'Adventurers and Pirates' - Hetton Coal Company, 1820
- Looking back at Consett Steel Works
- Celebrating Gala Day 2020
County Durham remembers VE Day 1945
- 'We have come through' - Remembering VE Day 1945
- 9th Battalion DLI: From D-Day to Berlin
- 9th Battalion DLI: VE Day
- 9th Battalion DLI: In Berlin, June - September 1945
- Berlin Victory Parade, 7 September 1945
- Victory Parade at Belsen, 8 May 1945
- The Northern Echo, Victory edition, 9 May 1945
- VE Day and Durham Schools
- 2nd Battalion DLI: Burma 1945
- 2nd Battalion DLI: Rangoon Victory Parade, 15 June 1945
- VE Day and the Durham Miners' Association
- County Durham celebrates VE Day
- Haswell Victory Celebrations, 1945
- Soldier: Victory Souvenir edition, 8 May 1945
- Parade: European Victory edition, 26 May 1945
- VE Day not forgotten by one Spennymoor family
- County Durham celebrates VJ Day
- Victory Day, 8 June 1946
How to Search for a Person
You can search for a person in two databases:
- Mining Durham's Hidden Depths
Search for a person in the Catalogue
The Catalogue contains details of all our catalogued archive collections.
It also contains images of some of the photographs in the collections.
The Catalogue is a free text database and you can search for a person by keyword(s).
Type a personal name in the Keyword(s) box to search for an exact word or phrase.
Punctuation is ignored. You will get the same number of search results for any of the following:
G J Fisher
G. J. Fisher
The Search looks for keyword matches in individual catalogue entries.
Example 1: Martha Fisher
Type Martha Fisher in the Keyword(s) box.
This search finds 1 match in 1 catalogue.
In the Results List click on the reference link (underlined) to browse the whole catalogue.
Click on the 'plus' symbol to reveal the link to the specific catalogue entry matching your search.
Example 2: Fisher
Type Fisher in the Keyword(s) box to find all results for Fisher including surnames.
This search finds at least 193 matches in 102 catalogues, including:
Fisher Price Factory
Rev. Peter Fisher
Private C. Fisher
Privates H. Fisher, F. Robinson, P. Rattigan, C.E. Johnson
Major D.L. Fisher
R.S.M. J. Fisher
A Keywords search for Mr. Fisher will disregard 'Mr.' and find all results for 'Fisher' as above.
Example 3: Major Fisher
Type Major Fisher in the Keyword(s) box.
This search finds no matches.
Search the catalogue again and type Major Fisher in the All of these words box.
This search looks for both Major and Fisher in the same catalogue entry and finds at least 19 matches in 14 catalogues, including:
Major D.L. Fisher
Major Napier and Edward Fisher
Repeat the search for Major Fisher in the All of these words box. This time select the option to view image results only.
The search returns at least 10 photographs.
Example 4: Private Fisher
Type Private Fisher in the All of these words box and select the option to include word variations.
This search looks for variations of both Private and Fisher in the same catalogue entry and finds at least 4 matches in 4 catalogues, including:
...Privates H. Fisher, F. Robinson, P. Rattigan, C.E. Johnson
Private C. Fisher
Repeat the search for Private Fisher in the All of these words box. This time select the option to view image results only. The search finds at least 2 photographs.
Search for a person in Mining Durham's Hidden Depths
Mining Durham's Hidden Depths is an ongoing index to persons named in the Durham Miners' Association collection and other mining records.
It contains over 150,000 index entries and is updated regularly.
Search by keyword(s) or browse all names in the index.